Teresa Schneider from Winstead will be on campus Tuesday, February 26, 2013 to discuss the scholarship. Lunch will be served to the first 30 students in attendance. Noon, 240 BLB.
Winstead PC is proud to announce that, beginning January 14, 2013 it will begin accepting applications for the 2013 Winstead Juris Doctor Scholarship Awards.
Each year, Winstead awards three $20,000 scholarships to ethnically diverse first-year law students* – to a student at The University of Texas School of Law, the University of Houston Law Center, and the Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law. In addition to a cash award, each Scholarship recipient will be offered a position in the Firm’s 2014 Winstead Summer Associate Program.
Applications will be available beginning January 14, 2013, both on our website at www.winstead.com, and in the Financial Aid and Career Services offices at each participating law school. Applications are due no later than March 1, 2013. We will interview finalists in the second week of March 2013 and will notify scholarship recipients shortly after we have concluded our interviews. In early April, the Firm will host a reception for scholarship recipients.
Each scholarship winner will receive up to $20,000, distributed as follows: (i) $1,500 to be presented to each winner at the formal reception in April 2013; (2) $1,500 to be awarded to the law student interest group of the scholarship recipient’s choosing (e.g. BLSA, ALSA, APLSA, CHLSA, TMLS, etc.); (3) a $3,500 signing bonus at the beginning of the summer associate’s clerkship at Winstead, if the scholarship recipient accepts the summer associate position; and (4) a $13,500 signing bonus on the start of a full time position with Winstead if an offer of full-time employment is made and accepted.**
Winstead’s Juris Doctor Scholarship Program is just one way in which the Firm demonstrates a strong commitment to diversity in the legal profession. Each year, the Firm participates on career panels at schools and reaches out to leadership and members of minority bar associations and student organizations. Because diversity requires not just ideas, but action and support, Winstead actively participates in a number of key organizations and events. Please visit www.winstead.com for a complete list of the diversity-related organizations, recruitment activities and outreach programs we are proud to support.
* Part-time and joint degree students are eligible to apply for the scholarship upon completion of the number of credit hours that are equivalent to the hours required for the first semester of a full-time, first-year law student. Part-time and joint degree students will be offered a summer associate position for the summer immediately prior to the student’s last year in his or her law school program.
** During the Summer Associate Program, Winstead will evaluate scholarship recipients on the same basis as all other summer associates. The Firm will have sole discretion to determine whether or not to extend a fulltime position to any of the scholarship winners at the end of their summer employment.
To further promote diversity within our firm, Winstead is pleased to offer the sixth annual Winstead Juris Doctor Scholarship. The scholarship is available to one ethnically diverse first-year* law student at the following Texas law schools: The University of Texas School of Law, The University of Houston Law Center, and Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law. At each school, the scholarship will consist of a cash award of up to $20,000.
Scholarship applicants must meet the following criteria:
· U.S. Citizen or otherwise authorized to work in the United States;
· Member of an ethnically diverse population that historically has been underrepresented in the legal profession;
· Attending The University of Texas School of Law, SMU Dedman School of Law, or The University of Houston Law Center;
· Full-time, first-year law students or part-time or joint degree students who have completed the number of credit hours equivalent to the hours required of a full-time, first-year law student;
· Excellent academic performance in law school; and
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Applications must be received no later than March 1, 2013. To apply, please submit:
· The Winstead Juris Doctor Scholarship application;
· A 500 word personal statement sharing your ambitions, a personal experience or unique perspective;
· Your resume;
· Your official transcript of first-semester grades; and
· A legal writing sample such as a memo from a legal writing class, if available.
· Application packets will be reviewed by the selection committee.
· Interviews will be held for scholarship finalists at the applicant's law school in the second week of March 2013.
· Scholarship winners will be announced in April 2013.
· Congratulatory receptions will be held at the Winstead offices for scholarship winners, their immediate family members and their designated student interest group during the first week of April, 2013.
Applications must be received no later than March 1, 2013.
Please send your complete application packet to:
Please send your complete application packet to:
Dominique Anderson, Director of Attorney Recruitment
500 Winstead Building
2728 N. Harwood Street
Dallas, Texas 75201