Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Equal Justice Works – Upcoming Programs and Deadlines for Graduating 3Ls


Equal Justice Works (EJW) is an organization dedicated to mobilizing the next generation of lawyers committed to equal justice.  EJW hosts the largest public interest career fair in the nation, and provides a staggering number of fellowship opportunities to public interest lawyers.

 2013 EJW Fellowship Program

Create your own job!  The Equal Justice Works Fellowship Program partners talented lawyers wanting to pursue public interest legal careers with host organizations and sponsors to support projects that serve underrepresented populations across the country. The two-year, postgraduate fellowships allow attorneys passionate about public interest law to develop and implement new legal projects that impact thousands of lives and serve communities in desperate need of legal assistance. Fellows receive a competitive salary and generous loan repayment assistance, a national training and leadership development program and additional support during their tenure.  Applications are due by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, September 17, 2013.  Students interested in this opportunity should visit with a career counselor about proposal ideas and the application process.  See also the EJW Fellowship site.

Hear what Sarah Loeffler, a recent grad of UHLC, had to say about her then upcoming EJW Fellowship with the Montgomery County Women’s Center:

"When I entered law school, I knew that I wanted to work in the area of public interest law and I knew that I wanted to work with victims of domestic violence.  But, my ideas ended there.  With some amazing mentorship with my internship at the Montgomery County Women's Center and help from many at UHLC, I began to envision exactly which problems I wanted to fix in the area of domestic violence law and how I wanted to fix them.  However, finding a job which met these specifications was nearly impossible.

I realized that an EJW fellowship would allow me to make the changes I envisioned for domestic violence victims--in essence creating my ideal job.  I have no idea what the next two years will bring.  But, I know that I want to help people.  I know that with the help of professors and career counselors and supervising attorneys, I have created a project that can affect change because it focuses on the gaps in the law.  So, my hope for the next two years is to make lasting change, however that may come.  Whether it is all of Montgomery County, ten people, two people, I know I want to make a lasting difference in the best way I know how.  And, I know that my EJW fellowship will give me that capacity to make that difference, to fill the gaps, and to finally fulfill those early ambitions."
2013 AmeriCorps Legal Fellowships – Veterans Legal Corp

The Equal Justice Works AmeriCorps Legal Fellowship program was created in 1993 to address the gaps in the legal aid community through pro bono management and direct representation. Starting in August 2013, AmeriCorps Legal Fellows will focus almost exclusively on serving the legal needs of veterans. Veterans Legal Corps Fellows and law students will provide legal assistance to low-income and homeless veterans with issues related to disability benefits claims, barriers to housing and employment, debt, family law, and other legal issues.  

The first class of Equal Justice Works AmeriCorps Veterans Legal Corps Fellows will begin their service in August and September and serve for one year with the likelihood of renewal for an additional year.  Lawyers interested in becoming a Veterans Legal Corps Fellow can visit the Equal Justice Works website for host site locations and available positions.  Equal Justice Works will continue to post more fellowship positions through the end of July as they become open.  Applicants should check the website regularly.