Monday, August 6, 2012

Equal Justice Works – What is it and what can it do for you?






Equal Justice Works (EJW) is an organization dedicated to mobilizing the next generation of lawyers committed to equal justice.  EJW hosts the largest public interest career fair in the nation, and provides a staggering number of fellowship opportunities to public interest lawyers.  

Upcoming EJW Programs and Deadlines:
2012 Conference and Career Fair Registration deadline: September 13th
Equal Justice Works is gearing up for the 2012 Conference and Career Fair, which will be in Washington, D.C. October 26 – 27, 2012.  Public interest and government agencies from across the country flock to this conference to recruit students for internship and permanent employment opportunities.  Additionally, the Conference offers a variety of workshops on the latest news and developments in areas of public interest law.  Student registration is open August 15 – September 13, 2012 for students seeking interviews.  Please see the registration site for more information.  Please note that due to NALP guidelines, 1L students are not eligible to interview with employers during the Equal Justice Works Career Fair. However, 1L students may informally talk to employers during "Table Talk" on Friday and Saturday.

2013 EJW Fellowship Program Application Deadline: September 18th
Create your own job!  The Equal Justice Works Fellowship Program partners talented lawyers wanting to pursue public interest legal careers with host organizations and sponsors to support projects that serve underrepresented populations across the country. The two-year, postgraduate fellowships allow attorneys passionate about public interest law to develop and implement new legal projects that impact thousands of lives and serve communities in desperate need of legal assistance. Fellows receive a competitive salary and generous loan repayment assistance, a national training and leadership development program and additional support during their tenure.  Applications are due by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, September 18, 2012.  Students interested in this opportunity should visit with a career counselor about proposal ideas and the application process.  See also the EJW Fellowship site.

Hear what Sarah Loeffler, a recent grad of UHLC, has to say about her upcoming EJW Fellowship with the Montgomery County Women’s Center:

"When I entered law school, I knew that I wanted to work in the area of public interest law and I knew that I wanted to work with victims of domestic violence.  But, my ideas ended there.  With some amazing mentorship with my internship at the Montgomery County Women's Center and help from many at UHLC, I began to envision exactly which problems I wanted to fix in the area of domestic violence law and how I wanted to fix them.  However, finding a job which met these specifications was nearly impossible.

I realized that an EJW fellowship would allow me to make the changes I envisioned for domestic violence victims--in essence creating my ideal job.  I have no idea what the next two years will bring.  But, I know that I want to help people.  I know that with the help of professors and career counselors and supervising attorneys, I have created a project that can affect change because it focuses on the gaps in the law.  So, my hope for the next two years is to make lasting change, however that may come.  Whether it is all of Montgomery County, ten people, two people, I know I want to make a lasting difference in the best way I know how.  And, I know that my EJW fellowship will give me that capacity to make that difference, to fill the gaps, and to finally fulfill those early ambitions."